The European collaborative project OVERSAILS 2050, led by NEOLINE which gathered a high level consortium, has been labelled by the Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique and by the Competitiveness Pôle S2E2.
Updated on 30/11/2020:
Oversails 2050 has also been labeled by the Competitiveness Pole specialized in energy management S2E2 as part of its support of our partner D-ICE ENGINEERING.
OVERSAILS 2050 is an European research project that aims to create innovative tools and work methods in the design of future generations Large Sailing Vessels (LSV), thanks to the feedback brought by the first ship Neoliner 136, so as to confront multiple technological and scientific challenges related to the spread and increasing scale of the initial concept.
OVERSAILS 2050 : “Onboard Vessel Experimentation and Research: Sustainable And Innovative saiLing Shipping overcoming 2050 IMO objectives”
This ambitious new project is led by NEOLINE, which has gathered 11 partners from the highest European level in a consortium composed of innovative companies and distinguished academic laboratories.
The Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique, which has labelled the project on the 6th of November 2020, highlights on:
- The strategic and high-priority nature of the project, in relation with the goals of the sector and also of the pole that consider the development of innovating solutions as exposed in the OVERSAILS 2050 project, as top-priority in the decarbonizing process within the shipping industry.
- The innovative nature of the project, through the development of digital tools and instrumentation using relatively new techniques (flexible multi-purposes FEA, with Differential Variational Inequalities, flexible sensors on soft sails, CFD and Fluid Interaction Structure simulations connected to algorithms dedicated to shipping, digital twins, routing taking into account the unexpected factors – such as weather forecasts etc…), and a well-defined state of the art.
- The quality of the consortium : the project is developed by the SME NEOLINE, one of the pioneering shipowners in the wind powered shipping, and which is legitimate in designing the pilot ship necessary to running in-situ tests for the developed tools. The 11 other partners possess very important references on the European level, in their specific area of expertise. The consortium includes strong competences in each of the field of study covered by the project.
- The impact and economic benefits along the 4-year project (22 FTE for all 12 partners) and 5 years after the project is completed (more than 270 FTE) are high, but feasible given the emergency and the regulatory requirements related to the decarbonizing of shipping.
- The cross compliance : with time, OVERSAILS 2050 has a vocation to drastically speed up the designing phase of future wind powered ships, with the aim to reducing the environmental impact of shipping. The capacity of wind power at cutting carbon emissions and other pollutants is very high. OVERSAILS even has an ambition to go over the OMI-set objectives to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 50% by 2050.
#H2020 #europeancommission #decarbonizinglongdistanceshipping